Why a food blog?

by - 06:04
Views

Hi I am Barnali and this is my very first entry for the Food Blog that I have started.

There are many reasons for me to start this blog but the three most important being - I love food, I love cooking and I love to write. My love for food had begun the moment I could differentiate between a potato and an onion - means at a very young age. My mom is a super cook and I love whatever she creates within the four walls of the kitchen. Till the time I leant cooking, I savoured the dishes prepared by ma. Once when I started my affair with the pots and pans, I leant what it takes to make a dish taste as good as it did when ma prepared them. From that moment onwards I was totally in awe with her cooking abilities and really really wanted to be able to cook like her one day. After ma's infinite tutorials over the phone I had really begun to love cooking and improvise on them as well.

My love for writing had also begun at a very tender age. As the years passed I discovered that nothing was a better stress buster for me than writing. I tried my hands both at prose and poetry. But prose won hands down. Human relations and day-to-day stories intrigued me a lot. Those were the things I liked to write about. The apparently simple things made great stories. There was a time when i had just joined my job and I was living alone in a new city I used to write in all the free times i got during the day - in-between training, post lunch, tea break, while making dinner, after dinner till i could barely keep my eyes open. I was literally addicted to writing and totally in love with the characters i created. They were the ones who gave me company and I never felt alone living in a big city like Mumbai.

With time the priorities changed. I moved to greener pastures for my work and writing took a back seat when career took a front seat. Somehow my old love for writing diminished as the workload increased. Months flew by and then I got married and came back my good old country. The new found status had its own share of responsibilities and adjustment priorities.

Finally after 6 months into the marriage when things were finally sailing smoothly I decided to take up the pen once again. But it wasn't that easy any more. After such a long sabbatical, I discovered that the thoughts were swarming around in my brain still but i couldn't manage to pen them down at all. I couldn't manage to string them together or I felt that the quality of writing was missing. I started to feel tad disappointed when this food blog idea started to make its presence felt. I couldn't write fiction but I could surely write something which was facts.


I started to look into the net and read the kind of cooking I loved. I found out that there were all kinds of food blogs, but very few of them were about Bengali Cooking. I love all kinds of food, but Bengali cuisine is what I was born and brought up eating and hence its the nearest to my heart. I felt I had something to contribute about the Bengali food that we made in our homes and not the ones one gets to savour in a air-conditioned environment of the Bengali boutique restaurants. Moreover I felt the urge to take forward the legacy of amazing recipes that went around in my family from ages. Simple and healthy yet appealing to the taste buds.

This blog is more of a tribute to my ma, who has been my biggest inspiration in everything I have done and achieved in my life. Through this blog I want to get back to my old love of writing as well.

Wish me luck!







You May Also Like

0 comments