Apple Halwa (Apple Pudding)

by - 00:19
Views

Neither me nor my better half is fond of fruits. The only difference is I do not visit the fruit section of any food mart because I know I am not going to eat them but my better half exactly does the opposite. He picks up whatever catches his fancy in the fruit section convincing me that he will eat them but I know that those are eventually going into the garbage bin after languishing in the fridge for a fortnight.

So this time when he got a bunch of apples from the food mart I decided to do something better with at least half of them. The rest was left as it is so that if he feels an urge to have them within a fortnight he may.

The apples looked quite juicy and though I am not fond of apples I found them quite inviting. I had one and they were one of the best i must admit. Buts that's it, I did not crave for the rest of them. Almost all fruits which you don't want to eat as it is can be turned into a delectable halwa (a thick consistency pudding ) which is relished by all. I decided to do the same with the remaining apples.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes 

Cooking Time: 15 minutes

Serves:2


Cuisine: Indian

Ingredients:

  •  Apple- 2 Medium
  • Kismis (Raisin) - 1/4 cup
  • Almonds- 1/2cup
  • Ghee (clarified butter)- 1/4 cup
  • Sugar - 1/2 cup (or according to taste)
  • Green Cardamom - 2
  • Cinnamon Stick - 2 " piece
  • Buffalo Milk - 500 gm
Procedure:
1. Peel the apples and then grate them finely

You can cut the apples and then grind them to a fine pulp in a mixer if you don't like a crunch in your halwa. But I prefer to grate it so that I can preserve the bite in it.

  

2. Grate the almonds and keep aside


3. Heat Ghee in a thick bottomed pan, when fragrant add cinnamon stick and green cardamom.

4. Add the grated apples and kismis  and fry on medium heat till all the water evaporated and the apple is reduced to a thick mash.

5.Add the sugar (sugar should be equal to the amount of reduced apple) and fold into the apple mash

6. Add 3/4 of the grated almonds and cook for 2-3 minutes

7. Gradually add half the milk into the pan and keep on stirring. Cook for 3-4 minutes till the milk is reduced and sticks to the halwa. (You can also use Khoya instead of milk. Some people also prefer to use Milkmaid.)


8. Adthe rest of the milk and repeat the above step.

9. Stir and cook on low heat till the halwa gets the desired consistency.  

10. Add a spoon of Ghee and switch off the flame.

The apple halwa will take a light brown color finally. If you feel this is not good enough then you can choose to add 1/4th spoon of yellow/orange food color while frying the grated apples.

Garnish with the rest of the almonds and serve hot or at room temperature.

You can also add chashew nuts as a garnish to make it richer.


Some people prefer to cool down the halwa and then cut it into Barfis.  It's your take whatever suits you best.


Sending this recipe to Priya's and Spicy Treat's "Diwali Delicacy" event.



You May Also Like

0 comments