The First Time I Got Ragged

by - 09:19
Views


I was reading an article on ragging today and  started remembering all the times I was ragged. Initially I remembered my sophomore years in college. Just as I was walking down the memory lane, I remembered an incident from my lower Kindergarten days(I was 3 something years then) . I studied in a catholic school. The lower KG section was separated by a long corridor from the main school premises. Our teachers would make us form a long line and lead us to the playground which was in the main school premises. There was a separate playground for the kids which housed a slide, see-saw and jungle gym (those complex constructions from metal pipes, on which children can climb, hang, or sit). Climbing has always been my passion :), so my favorite thing was the jungle gym. I used to climb up to the highest level and sit there watching the other kids scurry about in the playground. Small girls like altitude, same was with me. It kind of gave a satisfaction of being at a higher level than the others.

One day our class teacher was absent. Generally during such occurrences a senior student(minder) would be assigned of 'minding' the class for the day. They would come and make us play games and engage us in different activities in the class room in a disciplined way so that the teacher less class won’t create commotion.

It was our games period. The senior made us form a line and lead us to the playground. We played while she chatted with one of her friends along with keeping a tab on us. Me and Rini (my best friend during those days) were perched up at our usual position on the jungle gym. For some unknown reason the senior's friend kept on looking at us all the while. We felt a bit uncomfortable but couldn’t help it. We knew there was no point in complaining to the senior as the other girl must be her best friend from the way they were talking.

The game period ended. The senior called for everyone to form a line. Me and Rini were the last one to join every time as we wanted to enjoy the jungle gym till the last moment. Finally before the line started to move class wards, we started to climb down. The kids already started to move by the time we reached ground and we ran to join the line. Just then we were stopped by the other girl. She stood on our way with her hands stretched. We looked at her questioningly.

"Hi I am Bhavna" She said.

Rini and I exchanged looks. She looked scared. I mustered up some courage and mumbled, "Our line is going"

"It's ok. I have talked with your minder, you can be with me for a while" She said with an odd smile.

For the first time I felt a bit feared. Catholic schools are so disciplined that the moment you do something odd, a complaint would go to the principal. Firstly we did not join the line when we were supposed to and now we were stranded in the playground with a stranger.

She saw the fear in our eyes and said, “Don’t worry I will let you go the moment you do what I ask you to do"

We didn’t have the guts to ask what.

"OK so tell me ABCD start to end" she commanded to Rini.

She fumbled a number of times but completed it somehow. Now she looked at me and ordered, “Tell 1 to 100"

Instantly Rini started crying, when it should have been me who would have cried. I got stuck at eighty nine. She waited for sometime and then with an irritated look said, " Since you couldn’t complete it you have to stay back and your friend can go!"

I was horrified to hear that. Bhavna tried to shoo away Rini but she did not budge.

Bhavna looked at me and said, “What is 1000 plus 500?" I didn’t have any clue what she was speaking about. Seeing me stammering Rini started to cry loudly.

"I will slap you if you cry once more!" She said and made hand gestures of slapping.

This opened the floodgates and Rini started to wail at the top of her voice!

Fortunately for us a senior guy was going through the ground. He heard the wailing and came to us. He looked senior to Bhavna and demanded what was going on. Now it was her turn to fumble. The guy scolded her and warned her strictly. After that he led us to our class room and explained everything to the teacher. We were shaking like dry leaves till the time we reached our classroom. The teacher and the guy assured us that we were safe and nothing to worry. But that incident had instilled a sharp fear in us. From that day onwards we always kept close to the other kids while in play ground and was always first to form the line.

So that was the first time I encountered ragging in my life. The incident might sound very trivial now, but back then it was truly a frightening experience. It taught us the important lesson never to be left behind in a group. But then again, old habits die hard. especially with me. :) I will tell you another interesting tale when I was left behind and its consequences some other day.

Have a great day!


You May Also Like

0 comments