Spinach Omlette | Easy Breakfast Omlette

by - 23:19
Views

 




October 10

So far it has just been a crazy week. Super work load plus a three day training on Design Thinking. My brain was more scrambled by the end of it that I had anticipated. The trainings were starting early morning by 8 AM thus I had to finish all chores and food before 8. My usual breakfast time was 9 AM and hence it was very obvious by the time I was one hour into the meeting I was already hungry again. 

So when the instructor decided to grant us a break of ten minutes, my agenda was to make myself something real quick and savory. I am not a sweet junkie at all, and whenever I want to snack I always prefer anything savory. I had some spinach in the pantry and I had planned to make a spinach Omlette earlier with it. So after a little calculation I felt the time at hand was enough to make a omlette and take pics too just that I had to compromise on the finishing. That explains the lack of finesse in the chopped spinach. Yes I used the stalks too. They taste super awesome in case u always throw them away while making an omlette.

This is a very healthy and easy omlette which can bring sunshine even during boring days.

A few pointers:
  • Make sure eggs are at room temperature. When you use eggs out of the refrigerator it takes time to set
  • Do not whisk the egg to much
  • Add a little milk or cream and whisk to make the omlette fluffier
  • Cook on a low flame
  • Add the spinach and cheese (if using) only when the egg starts to set
  • To make the omlette crispy and brown leave the omlette on the skillet for a few extra seconds after they are done

Preparation Time : 6-7 minutes
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
Serving : 1


Ingredients :
  • Egg - 1
  • Milk - 1 tbsp
  • Spinach - 1/2 cup chopped
  • Onion - 1/4th
  • Garlic clove - 2, chopped finely
  • Bird'd eye chilli/ green chilli - 2
  • Cracked Peppercorn - 1/4th tsp
  • Chilli flakes - 1/4 tsp
  • Salt
  • Refined Oil
Equipment:
  • Skillet
Method:

1. Wash and roughly chop the spinach leaves along with the stems.  Chop the garlic very finely. Chop the onion and chilli finely. 

Tip: I love to add the soft stems, it adds a nice bite to the omlette.

Note: Garlic is optional. But the flavor of garlic pairs beautifully with the spinach

2. Crack the egg into a bowl, add a pinch of salt, onions, chilli and milk. Whisk the egg till the yolks are mixed well

3.  Take a skillet and heat it on medium. Add 1 tsp of oil. Add the chopped garlic and spinach.  Add a pinch a salt. Toss it for a few minutes till you see the leaves starting to wilt. Take it off flame and keep it to cool.

4. To the same skillet add oil and keep the heat on low to medium. Tilt the skillet for the oil to cover the entire surface area. Now add the egg mixture and again spread it across the surface. 

5. As the egg begins to set, run the spatula lifting its edges a bit to ensure it is not sticking and getting cooked properly.

6. Now squeeze the spinach a little to release the extra water and then add these squeezed spinach on top of the omlette. Let it cook for 2- 3 more minutes till you can lift the omlette clean from the edges. 

Tip: You can choose to flip one side of the omlette or serve it as an open omlette as I did.

Tip 2: You can also add shredded cheese at this point to make a richer version of the omlette.

Serve hot with toasted bread.
























You May Also Like

0 comments