Caramelized Apple with Cinnamon Eggy Bread

by - 03:38
Views


1st August

I have always heard about caramelized apples but never tasted them until this year. When I was staying in Atlanta, I had many opportunities at diners to have caramelized apple toppings on my bread but I wonder why I never tried them. Maybe back then, the experimental streak was lesser than it is now or maybe I felt comfortable going with the herd mentality. I followed whatever my friends ordered.

So this year it was by fluke that I made caramelized apple for the first time. I had a some apples which were sitting on the counter top for quite sometime and had begun to age. So finally I took a notice of them and started thinking what to do with them. Now if you know me personally you would also know I am not a very huge fan of fruits. In fact I do not like fruits at all, apart from a few seasonal ones like mangoes or litchies. Hence the predicament of the apples at my home. Well you might be already wondering then why did I buy them? Technically,  I didn't.

I had ordered tomatoes from Bigbasket daily. Now all those who are not familiar with bigbasket, its an online grocery delivery app, which delivers the items pre - dawn (at least for me 5.30 am is pre dawn). The point is, that if they miss out on an item or give the wrong item is is no option of returning it rightaway. One needs to then raise a issue through their customer care. So when I saw apples sitting there instead of tomatoes I didn't know whether to feel happy or sad about it. Technically they were more expensive than tomatoes so it was a profit for me but then I needed tomatoes. There was chicken sitting in the fridge which needed to be cooked in a tomato gravy. So I raised an issue after like deliberating for 10 minutes. The lady out there took a note of my issue and said she is initiating a refund. But I need tomatoes - I kind of wailed on text. She sympathetically said, "I can understand madam, but unfortunately we cannot send replacement now. So enjoy the apples".

The chat session ended and I tried hard to convince myself that apples are always good for health, so I need to have them now that they are already here. But easier said than done. I ate two apples fresh. And then rest of the four kept sitting there for weeks until I again took a note of them. Since I was in no mood to have them raw, I started thinking about ways to use them. Mom suggested I add them to the chicken curry. But I didn't feel so adventurous. So instead I thought lets fry them with sugar. Thus I made the first ever batch of caramelized apples and totally totally loved it. So this weekend I made some cinnamon eggy bread following karmelowy's recipe.




Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Cooking Time: NA
Serving : 4 serving

Ingredients for Eggy Bread:
  • Bread - 4 slices (preferably thick)
  • Eggs - 3 
  • Milk - 4 tbsp
  • Cinnamon Powder - 1 tsp
  • Castor Sugar /Fine sugar - 2 tbsp
  • Castor Sugar for garnish
  • Butter for frying
Ingredients for Caramelized Apple:
  • Apple - 250 gm, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks
  • Sugar - 1 tbsp
  • Butter - 20 gm (approx~)

Method:

1. Take the eggs, cinnamon, milk and sugar in a bowl and whisk it together. 



2. Now dip the breads one by one into the egg mixture and make sure both sides are nicely saturated in the egg mixture



3. Heat a frying pan and add some butter. When the butter is sizzling gently lay the bread and let it get fried on medium heat. Flip on the other side to cook it. Cook till they have a nice golden brown tint. 

4. In parallel take another pan and and add butter in it. Bring it on medium-high flame and allow the butter to melt. Once the butter is melted, add the sliced apples in the pan. Continuously stir the apples and cook them till they are tender and the sugar caramel has nicely coated it. It will take just 4-5 minutes. Don't overcook the apples as they might turn into a puree instead.

Tip: During the whole caramelizing process, it is important to prevent the apples from getting oxidized. If you expect a delay between slicing them and cooking them, then drizzle some lemon juice on the apple chunks. It will keep them nice and white till you are ready to cook.




5. Now remove the bread from the pan and place it on a plate. Add a generous amount of stewed caramelized apple on top and then dust it with castor sugar. 

Tip: You can also top this off with a dollop of whipped cream.

Do try this out and tag me (@curriesnstories07) on Instagram on your photos whenever you try the recipe and I will give a shout out to you.






You May Also Like

0 comments