Doi Potol ( Pointed Gourd in Yogurt Sauce)

by - 07:31
Views



Happy new year dear readers. The last year passed away so quickly and so many positive things happened that I feel really grateful to God and the people around me who have been a constant source of support and inspiration. I usually don't make any resolutions because I don't want myself to be limited to certain boundary. My things usually evolve as and when they come up. This way it works better for me I have seen.

I ushered my new year in Mumbai this time with my relatives. It was both a work and pleasure trip. And for the first time I stayed in the Parel area which is like a niche area in Mumbai now. Many big shot businessmen and showbiz people stay around so it was a different experience this time around. I had left Mumbai around 7 years ago and so much has changed since then so it was good to be back for a weekend. 

I did a lot of cooking on Jan 1st so I guess I will continue the same stint year long. Moreover had some amazing New York cheesecakes and quiches from a very quaint bakery around, sat at the Worli seaface at night watching the city lights, fed a hoard of seagulls by the beach, experienced cold Mumbai mornings and basically spent a lot of time talking and catching up. So it was a very different new year this time but it was a very fulfilling one at that.


The weekend was thus supposed to be a relaxing one and wanted to make something easy and quick.
This is a rather easy take on the traditional Doi Potol with just a handful of ingredients. On those days when you feel lazy and still want to eat something different you can try this out.



Preparation Time: 10 minutes  
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Cuisine: Bengali

Ingredients:
  • Potol/ Pointed Gourd - 6
  • Dahi/ Yogurt - 4 tablespoons
  • Fresh Coconut - 2 teaspoon grated
  • Mustard Powder - 2 teaspoons
  • Cardamom - 2
  • Green Chilli - 2
  • Turmeric Powder
  • Red Chilli powder 
  • Mustard Oil
  • Salt & Sugar as per taste

Procedure: 

1.  Wash the pointed gourd.  Take the top off from each end and peel the skin alternatively.  Make three fish scale shaped slit on each side
2. Fry the pointed gourd for a few minutes each side and keep aside. Don't discard the oil.

3. Take a baking dish/ microwave safe dish and place the pointed gourds in it. Add enough water to submerge the gourds. Microwave for 4 minutes.

Note: if you dont have microwave, just take a kadhai and add ample water and cook the gourds in same way for about 10 minutes until they are a little soft. 

4. Make a paste with yogurt, mustard powder, grated coconut,  turmeric, red chilli powder, salt, sugar, cardamom. Add a few tea spoon of water to make a proper paste.

5. Heat the remaining oil. Add the paste and slitted green chillis. Cook for 2 minutes on medium flame. 

6. Add the cooked gourds into the sauce and coat it well. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes on medium flame, turning the gourds multiple times, without cover to maintain the green color of the gourds.You can keep less gravy than what I did as per your choice.

Serve it with any flatbread or rice.




You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Wow, that looks really yummy. I never knew we can use curd for curry, super recipe. Thanks for sharing!
    Wholesale Food Supplier India

    ReplyDelete
  2. Travel gives them the chance to explore the nature. This will give them the chance to have the joy of the beauty of the nature. This will make them able to come more close to the nature. This will give them the chance to have the joy of the real love of the nature.

    ReplyDelete