Chingri Mach diye Kacha Tomator Ghonto | Prawns with Green Tomato

by - 22:08
Views

Tomato Chingri

When you come to Kolkata during winters, which I usually do, you would be treated to an array of wonderful seasonal delicacies at your home and by your relatives. My visit to Kolkata this time was mainly to recuperate from a medical condition called Sciatica I was having from past one month. This particular ailment gives you a lot of pain along the sciatic nerve in your leg and impacts your mobility completely. The worst part it takes a long time to heal which actually is a test of patience and being persistent with all the exercises. I might probably write in details about my entire healing journey once I have fully recovered. 

So due to this situation this time around my relatives are visiting me instead of me visiting them.  And the best part about being unwell is that people come bearing home cooked foods. When my masi (aunty) visited me she got me a very interesting dish which I was tasting for the first time - Chingri mach diye kacha tomator ghonto. 

Even in Pune, green tomatoes are available, but I was always uncertain about what to prepare with them beyond chutneys; therefore, I never purchased them. However, after trying the combination of green tomatoes with prawns and serving it alongside steamed rice, I was pleasantly surprised by the wonderfully rustic and delicious taste. A subtle tanginess that plays on your tongue along with the umami flavors of the prawn - a perfect match made in heaven. 

Since it is such a simple recipe I made it at home and below I am sharing the process so that you can also enjoy this easy and delicious recipe. Let me know how you like it. Don't forget to check the video as well.


Preparation Time : 30 minutes (includes cleaning prawns)
Cooking Time : 20 minutes

Serves - 2 adults

Ingredients :
  • Green Tomato - 4
  • Medium Sized Prawns - 150 gm
  • Green Chili - 2 to 3
  • Dried Red Chili - 2
  • Whole Mustard / Rai Seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
  • Mustard Oil - 1 tsp
  • Salt - To Taste
  • Sugar - to taste

Video :






Procedure:

1. Wash and pat dry the Tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes into thin slices.

2. Clean and devein the prawns. Marinate with turmeric and salt for 5 to 10 minutes

3. heat mustard oil in a kadai and once oil is hot temper it with dried red chilies and mustard seeds/ Rai seeds.
Tip : Using Rai seeds instead of mustard seeds adds a stronger flavor

4. Once the apices are fragrant add the marinated prawns, flip them and fry for about 40 seconds each side. 

5. Now add the sliced green tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Cover and cook till the tomatoes release water. Now separate out the prawns in a different bowl.

6. Now take a separate kadai and heat some mustard oil. Temper it with Rai seeds/ Mustard seeds. Once fragrant add the tomatoes with the water into this kadai. This is the second tempering we are doing for adding more flavours. Now cook covered till the tomatoes are a little mushy. Add a little water if needed at this stage. With the help of your spatula you can break down the tomatoes further to reach a mushy consistency.

7. Add a couple of slitted green chilies and fold them in.

8. Now add the prawns back and mix well. Adjust the seasoning at this stage. If it feels too tangy you can add a pinch of sugar to balance the taste.

Serve this with steamed rice and enjoy!

You May Also Like

0 comments